We all have them – days where we’re not quite sure what to do with ourselves or are bored and can’t quite settle to anything. Here is a list of ideas to fill those dragging dreary days when they strike, for whatever reason, and turn dull into fun. You can do them alone or call up a friend who might be looking for some anti-tedium therapy too.
If you’re not sure how to go about some of the suggestions here – such as making home-made make-up – then just tap the appropriate words into an Internet search engine and take your pick from the mine of information at your fingertips. Who knows – what started out as an effort to skip past a bored spell might even result in a new hobby, new style or new skill.
Hair and Make-up
- Dip dye your hair with a purpose-made home kit or make your own home dyes.
- Put your make-up on with your eyes closed and see what happens.
- Get a friend round and experiment with outrageous, over-the-top make-up looks on each other.
- Look on the Internet for some inspiration for crazy temporary hairstyles and try them out.
- Braid your/a friend’s hair if it is long or if it is short equip yourself with lots of bands and give yourself/your friend a Bantu type, all-over knotted look.
- Give yourself a manicure.
- Take time to get your hair and make-up looking its best together with a friend or two and then do glamour or fun photo session shoots with each other.
- Bake cookies, muffins or a cake and then decorate them to make them as pretty and sparkly as you can.
- Tie dye an old piece of clothing or make yourself a tie dye scarf or headband out of strips of material.
- With a friend, get some large pieces of paper and make posters for each other’s bedroom walls.
- Decorate an old pair of shoes with paints, sequins, beads or whatever else you have to hand.
- Make some home-made make-up or toiletries.
- Make face masks with a theme – glamorous, scary, some-one you know etc
- Make bracelets, anklets or headbands from shells, beads, seeds or from old jewellery you don’t want wear any more.
- Make up a book of inspirational quotes or song lyrics which are meaningful for you.
- Call up a friend on a summer’s day, dress in your prettiest girly clothes, make up a bag of your favorite things to eat and go for a picnic.
- Go on a tour of the second-hand stores with a friend to find the most outrageous clothes you can with a pre-arranged prize for the winner.
- Go looking for heart shaped stones to decorate.
- Go on an outdoors photo shoot.
Random Fun Stuff
- Make a no-holds-barred bucket list.
- Write a silly poem for your best friend or boyfriend.
- Learn the dance moves to a routine you’ve seen on YouTube or TV or even an old fashioned dance such as the Charleston. You can even make up something of your own.
- Write down a list of all the things which make you happy.